All MSHA members are encouraged to participate in continuing education activites as a commitment to life-long learning, provision of state-of-the-art services and to maintain certification. An update of educational programs throughout the state can be found in each issue of the et cetera. Programs offering State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECH/SB-CEUs) can be found on the State of Michigan, Department of Education, website. Options for earning ASHA CEUs are available on ASHA's website, www.asha.org. Additionally, specific information for maintaining and tracking ASHA CEUs is available on the ASHA website.
ASHA CE Registry
Please remember that the ASHA CEU Registry will no longer use the SSN as the identification number for CE Registry accounts effective January 1, 2010. ASHA account numbers will now be used exclusively as a means of identification of our Registry users.
- Cut the address label off an ASHA leader and store it in your wallet or purse. It has your ASHA ID number on it.
- Store your ASHA ID number in your cell phone under contacts: ASHA number.
- Write your ASHA ID number inside the cover of a notebook and bring the notebook with you as your note-taking paper for all CE activities.
- Carry your ASHA card with your driver's license in your wallet.
Continuing Professional Development works in conjunction with ASHA and the State Board of Education in order to provide Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for our MSHA members.
Earning Continuing Maintenance Hours (CMHs)
One easy way to earn CMHs is to attend the upcoming ASHA Annual Convention in Orlando. The ASHA Convention is one of your best opportunities to earn continuing education credit to maintain your CCC and state license.
Here are a few other easy ways to earn CMHs:
- successfully complete self-studies offered through ASHA's Special Interest Groups' Perspectives
- subscribe to various ASHA continuing education activities
- participate in employer-sponsored in-service activities
- complete college or university course work
Subscribing to the ASHA CE Registry is easy, too. The Registry helps annual subscribers track and document ASHA CEUs earned, and it will automatically notify ASHA Certification Maintenance on your behalf once 30 CMHs (3 ASHA CEUs) have been accumulated during your maintenance interval.
Don't wait—submit your Compliance Form as soon as you've completed the 30 CMHs.
As always, we are available to help. If you have any questions about the certification maintenance requirements, please contact the ASHA Action Center at 800-498-2071 and ask to be connected to your certification manager or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maintaining Continuing Education Units
ASHA has two forms that can help you maintain your Continuing Education Units. The Verification of Attendance and the Certification Maintenance Record Keeping are on the ASHA website.
The Michigan Speech-Language-Hearing Association is approved by the Continuing Education Board of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) to provide continuing education activities in speech-language pathology and audiology. MSHA is also approved by the Michigan State Board of Education to sponsor continuing education activities in speech-language pathology and audiology. ASHA CE Provider approval does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products or clinicial procedures. The above promotional paragraph and ASHA CE logo are always included in promotional materials of activities offering ASHA CEUs.
- MSHA requires only a $10.00 yearly fee for processing CEUs.
- ASHA fees are $24.00 per year.